9.10.2009

thoughts on my new life.

It's almost been three months. Three months (minus 10 days) of marriage. Two months of Denver. And a little over a month of grad school.

All these things are New. Very new. New and exciting and scary and confusing and, and, and...

(1) Marriage. June 20th was one of the happiest day of my life. I got to wear a pretty white dress, enjoy the company of my bestest friends and family, and marry my favorite person! I hope a contagious smile always spreads across my face when I think about the beauty and promise that day holds. And it doesn't end there.

I love being married.

I love groggily waking up to Micah getting ready and hushing me to go back to sleep. I love receiving texts throughout the day asking me how's my day going. I love planning and dreaming of European Escapade 2011. I love experimenting in the kitchen, and when that doesn't work eating popcorn and skittles or cereal for dinner. I love knowing that someone knows me. I love being part of a family of two.

Micah is the most patient (not when driving) and encouraging person I know. It is with bursting emotions that I can say I love him so much.
disclaimer: Marriage is hard. I'd be a liar to say otherwise.


(2) Denver. I miss San Francisco terribly. I miss muni and nextmuni.com and reasonable public transportation arrival times. I miss Thai Place 2 and the hundreds of other really good thai restaurants (and all ethnic restaurants for that matter), Bi-Rite, and TJ's. I miss decent corner stores. I miss high quality lattes and Philz coffee. I miss bikers and pedestrians rights! I miss speaking Spanish. I miss home.

Although I miss so much, I'm learning to appreciate Denver. I'm learning to not hold on so tightly to what I do not like and grasp on a little longer to what I do. And when I do this, I can tell you about Meinger's art store which I love, love so much. I can tell you about Novo coffee which is so darn close to a Blue Bottle latte. I can tell you about Cheesman park and how its two block proximity makes it a perfect running spot. I can even tell you about the Irish bar that hosts University of Alabama football games and the raucous crowd we enjoyed last saturday thanks to a competitive game with a Bama win.

And when I let go of my hold on the picturesque pacific ocean, I can even tell you about the mountains. And I should tell you about the mountains, because they are absolutely stunning.

P1020720
P1020734
P1020741
P1020742
P1020744

And pictures don't even do them justice.


(3) Grad School. I jumped in at full speed in July and I was fascinated and yet slightly unfulfilled from the get go. Academia has welcomed me back with arms wide open. It has ushered me into reading and provoked me to think and write. And, I love new school supplies with such a passion that even taking notes is thrilling! But, school is not work. And after being gainfully employed for the past 4 years, I have felt somewhat unproductive escaping to the "safe" world of books and classes. I no longer interact with people and their situations; I hear about them instead.

And, since Tuesday's International Studies orientation, I've been pushed even further out of my comfort level (of social work-y feelings). I've entered into a political world I know little about. But as I feel myself floundering around, I know that I won't be lost forever. At some point, I will feel like a graduate student. At some point, I will feel like a wife. At some point, I may even feel like a Coloradan. At some point, I will feel like I belong to these new worlds I have joined.

4 comments:

emilykatz said...

well said. we miss you here in sf.

Melissa said...

I know, but I don't think I realized just how many life changes occured for you in just a span of a couple weeks. You're taking it like a champ and Micah is taking it like an excited little kid. I love hanging out with you guys and am very glad you are here.

vmchechile said...

Hmmm...I'm not sure if you beat me or not... (*wink)

Graduation
Job
Move
Baby
May-October=5months.

graduation=you starting grad school
Job=Micah got a new one!
Move=no explanation needed
So that just leaves...baby...

Well you've got another two months.
Just Kidding!!! AFTER GRAD SCHOOL...FOR BOTH OF YOU!!!

cg said...

I don't know.
What about...
baby=get married.

i think we tied!