9.25.2009

radiator

Have you ever lived with a radiator?



Living with one is a chore.  How should I explain it?

Perhaps, an accurate portrayal would be a very loud, long-winded tea kettle.

Tuesday night was the first time since moving in that it has been cold enough for our landlord to turn on the broiler.  We had a brief conversation with him on our way out to a cafe and he mentioned it might get down into the 30s.  A few short minutes after we arrived home that evening, a hissing sound began, which perplexed me because it only seemed to get louder.  Was it a cat?  Was the cat dying?

And then the sound turned into a whistle, a steady, reliable one.  Had I left on the tea kettle?

The whistle grew angrier and angrier.  Finally, the realization hit that the 4 radiators throughout our apartment had fired up.

Alas, the relief of knowing ended oh so soon when I realized that this would be the normal background music for most of fall and winter!

1 comment:

SMarge said...

hmm, That is weird. In my experience, they typically don't make that much noise. Maybe you should have that checked out. I can't believe it is so cold! It's a scorching sunny, 86 here today. blech!
Miss you!