9.30.2009

the cooperative restraining order clinic (croc).



There's lots of things I could say about CROC. I could say that I was extremely unprepared when I started and was probably still unprepared when I left. I could say that I was both amazed and concerned by the amount of hours my co-workers put into accomplishing work that was never going to be finished. I could say that while I had both frustrating clients and motivating clients and pathetic clients and heart-wrenching clients, they were all clients and they all deserved more than life had given them. I could say it was one of the most meaningful experiences my short life has had thus far. And I could say that it taught me the fragility of human life and the immense burden and joy it is to help others. And while I could say all this (which I did), it doesn't come close to explaining the value of what CROC provides to the San Francisco community. My experience doesn't come close to reflecting some of the immeasurable changes that have occurred in some women's lives.

Sad is simply one of the emotions that comes to mind when I think about what void there would be if CROC were not to exist. Domestic violence is a tangible problem, one that consists of punches, slaps, degrading language, verbal assault, kicks, lies, and manipulation (to name a few). It is extremely deadly. But the services that CROC provides along with numerous other domestic violence agencies are life savers (literally)! So, if you're in San Francisco, consider attending TONIGHT'S fundraiser. If you can't and would still like to give, click here. It is a highly worthy cause!

1 comment:

Confessions said...

my husband's company is bidding the job to build a CROC center in memphis. i had never heard of it til recently. (i think i have been living under a rock) so neat to hear your perspective!