3.23.2009

Exhausted

When Micah and I said our last good-byes to my parents and ushered them into my aunt's car yesterday afternoon to be driven to the aiport, there was a sense of accomplishment. We did it! We survived the to-be in-laws weekend. I felt relief that it went well AND that it was over. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and it was great fun showing them and Micah's parents around my favorite city. But, three days of introducing the parental units nestled within hours upon hours of entertaining, conversating, and feeding them was exhausting! Speaking of feeding, I ATE SO MUCH. I don't remember the last time I've eaten out pretty much every meal for a week. I love sf restaurants; they are rich in flavor (and calories most likely) and expansive in variety. I love their quaint spaces, bright colors, and distinct style. I ate: seafood, a cafe sandwich, pizza, half a gigantic burrito, thai food, homemade granola with creamy yogurt and fruit, the biggest deli sandwhich, homemade pasta, ice cream, homemade pancakes with homemade whipcream & strawberries, salmon, and a yummy, yummy crepe. If you read that last sentence withour gasping, I commend you.

The merging of two families is an interesting concept. What does it really mean in terms of everyday life. I mean why was this past week a source of anxiety? My parents and Micah's parents will meet again at the wedding, but will they ever see each other after that? Maybe, but maybe not. They most likely will not be best friends; they probably won't be more than families to send a Christmas card to every December. So, I've been asking myself why was it so important that they get along. I understand that our families have made us who we are. I understand that they will continue to influence us. We are family and my parents and Micah's parents will be "connected" through us. Perhaps their meeting and their ability to get along just eases concerns and questions of an unknown history.

Whatever the reason for the weight of the first meeting, I'm happy to report once again that it went well!

I have lots of photos to post from our adventure with the parents to the Muir Woods Redwood forest. But here's one to keep you interested until then.

Are Micah's and my parents the same? Both our moms are wearing green sweaters and our dads are wearing leather jackets. What's up with that?

No comments: