3.13.2009

denver or bust!



You heard right. Micah and I are moving (91% sure) to Colorado (in July)! I realize it's going to be lots of change all at once; meaning there will be lots of adjustment. But, I would not want to marry or move to another state with anyone else. I will start grad school at the University of Denver THIS summer. I'm going to be in a dual degree program, which means I'll graduate with not just one, but two masters degrees (social work and international studies).

I am COMPLETELY ready to go back to school. I can't wait to buy new school supplies and smell the new pages of textbooks to come. I'm eager to get my classes and meet my professors and fellow students. I'm pumped!

It's exciting to have the decision made. BUT, what will it be like to say good-bye to San Francisco?

To be honest, I have cried more than I thought possible about the inevitability of leaving SF. I moved here 3 years and 6 months ago. I was completely ignorant to what it would be like to live in a "big" city. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Well, it was love at first site. It gained my trust; it eased me into its world where people were quirky and alive. It showed me beauty and hope nestled in pain and imperfection. I fell head over heels for the city. I have loved it unconditionally. It has made me the person I am today (cliche, but true).

San Francisco has played an enormous role in my life education and my growth into a "real-life" adult. It has stretched me, molded me, confused me, provoked me, taught me, and comforted me. San Francisco doesn't just feel like home, it is home. It is the first place where I created a home for myself. I'm confident that the life that lies before me has much to offer and each new adventure will be a new home. But, none will ever be my first. None will ever be San Francisco (that is unless we move back..here's hoping).

I know I will survive, but what will I do without Eddy's cafe or Godzilla sushi or Blue Bottle coffee? What will I do without muni and what will I do if purchasing a death monster (i.e. car) is a necessity? What will I do without my clients, all of them, the crazy ones, the ones that make my heart cry, the ones that make me frustrated, and the ones that make me feel proud to be just a little part of their story? What will I do without 1056, my sanctuary and refuge? And, what will I do without the friends, co-workers, and family that make San Francisco even more like home?

I don't have a very clear cut answer to these questions, other than I will survive. I will find new restaurants and meet new people. I will learn a whole lot more about the world and the people that are in it.

I will be homesick, but then again Micah and I are making a new home. A home away from home.

3 comments:

emilykatz said...

you'll be missed. who will play settler's with me?

vmchechile said...

The North Shore still feels like Jon's and my "home". It's where we fell in love, married, lived, started a family. We hope to live there again too. Will you be in a closer time zone??? That would be so cool!

Melissa said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!! I'm pryaying for you guys, I know it will be hard to leave the city but Denver will be happy to have you and so will I.
p.s. i just learned how to play settler's so i guess that doesn't really help katz's situation but it helps yours ;)