5.13.2009

Latin Bridal

Gather round everyone, it's story time.

So, while I was hard at work today, I took a quick glance at locations that sell a particular shoe that I will hopefully be wearing for my wedding.

I was in luck. There just happened to be a shop a mere (albeit long) 5 blocks away. And this shop just happened to be named Latin Bridal. Some of you may not know (note sarcastic tone), but I am not Latina. However, I assumed that even though I was not, I could still as easily walk down to the store, talk a little Spanish if the need arose, and try on the shoes before I purchased them.

I hopped on the 49 bus, rode for 4 blocks, and was dropped off at 22nd, just across the street from Latin Bridal.

I entered a shop of flowery, puffy, organza filled dresses and I knew I was in the right place. There were bridal gowns, quinceanera dresses, fake flower bouquets, and sparkly tiaras in abundance. I walked up to the counter and the sales lady greeted me in English. Now, in almost all circumstances, I don't respond to someone in Spanish who speaks to me first in English (this would 1) be strange in the case the person knew no Spanish and 2) could be interpreted as condescending). So, I proceeded to explain my shoe searching perdicament in English. The sales lady got out a catalogue to look for the shoe, and lo and behold it was there. She then proceeded to the big wall of shoe boxes to see if they had a pair in stock.

Alas, they did not have the shoes. BUT, they had another pair from the same company that I could try on so I would know what size to get. Here's the point in the story where my luck drasically changed. The sales lady that was helping me passed me on to another sales lady, so that the first could help another customer. Sales lady 2 talked as though I was such an inconvenience to her, although she didn't know I understood her because she didn't know I spoke Spanish. How rude!

Sales lady 2 got a pair down for me, but they were strappy shoes and not ones with a closed heel, so how was I supposed to gage the size? Oh, well, I tried them on anyway. I'm usually a size 7 (may a 7.5), but this shoe was a 6.5. I could squeeze my foot into it, but it was STRAPPY, how could I know how it was going to feel with a heel? Her nails-against-chalkboard replies that I should definitely get the 6.5 were oddly not reassuring.

I then asked the oh-so frustrating questions of how long it would take to order and if they had color swatches from the company to choose from. I don't know if I offended sales lady 2 in some way, but her attitude was short and not in the least amiable. I don't know if her lack of customer service is a daily occurance or if I had just gotten lucky (again, note the sarcasim).

As I turned to leave, I overheard (not that she was being quiet) sales lady 2 tell sales lady 1 "how strange" (in Spanish).

Oh, no you didn't!

Again, I did assume that even though I wasn't Latina I could still go to Latin Bride, but come on!

I turned around and replied, "si, es raro su comportamiento conmigo. y sabes que, ya perdio esta venda porque nunca se sabe cuando alguien habla espanol. Pero, ademas de esto, no debe tratar a una persona como usted me trato a mi. buen dia"

Translation: "yeah, your behavior towards me is strange. and you know what, you already lost this sale because you never know when someone speaks spanish. But, more than that, you shouldn't treat a person like you treated me. good day."

Sales ladies: blank, suprised stares. Me: walking out of Latin Bridal, feeling proud and justified.

3 comments:

vmchechile said...

GO CG!!!!!

Melissa said...

i can just picture you telling that lady off. awesome story!

SLR said...

haha I love this story!