5.05.2009

isn't it ironic?

Tonight after work I went to Tortilla Heights, a yuppy Mexican restaurant. To say it was crowded would be an understatement. It was packed. It was packed with wealthy whities in their mid to late twenties partying it up with tecate beer, margaritas, and tequila. What were they celebrating? Well, cinco de mayo of course. I guess I can't really judge, because obviously I too was there. I'm white, not necessarily wealthy, but I've got my bills covered. I also was drinking a margarita.

But, isn't it ironic that we "celebrate" a holiday that isn't even really celebrated in Mexico? Here's a HUGE stereotype, but it is the people like those in Tortilla Heights that belittle, look down on, or worse simply ignore people from Mexico (and other Latin American countries) all year round. But then May 5th rolls around and the first thought is to "celebrate" Mexico by throwing back a six pack of Dos Equis. Por ejemplo, the manly crew that was chillaxing next to me at the restaurant admittly joked the holiday was simply another excuse to get drunk. They joked as time after time the latino busboy carried away their dirty drinking glasses and dishes only so they could be replaced by more.

Maybe I'm reading too much into my brief experience. Maybe cinco de mayo is an excuse to drink just like st. patrick's day or oktoberfest and maybe that's not wrong. But, maybe, just maybe, there's a reason I felt embarassed and insensitive for participating in the Tortilla Heights' cinco de mayo festivities. And, maybe next year, I should evaluate more critically what I do.

No comments: