4.07.2009

life's crazy curveballs

Kristen, my maid of honor, (who just so happens to be my older sister) is engaged!

Her and her FIANCE got engaged on Saturday, April 4. You might ask: why are you just now posting about this news? Well, fellow bloggers, I just found out. As in, my sister just gmail chatted me and told me she was engaged! Yes, you heard that right...GMAIL CHAT! Is that even allowed? Can you tell someone life altering changes via gmail chat?

the following is an exact transcription:

Kristen: hi
me: hello
Kristen: just though I'd tell you that Hisong and I got engaged last weekend
me: WHAT? you did not just tell me that on gmail chat
Kristen: I figured that was better than facebook
me: MAYBE A PHONE CALL! are you serious?
Kristen: um, am I serious that we're engaged? yes


After this brief GCHAT dialogue, I whipped out my phone and called my sister up pronto! I get the engagement story with most likely the fewest details possible.

Now, perhaps you just have to know my sister, maybe then this scenario would seem rational. My sister has always come across as the anti-marriage person. In fact, most likely if you're reading this blog, you've heard me personally say that I did not think my sister was the "marrying type" (which I now stand corrected that there isn't such a type). Kristen is the most independently minded person I know. She may at times come across as emotionally rigid, but she is strong, intelligent, and fierce. I love her for those very attributes. I love that she "broke through" gender stereotypes in the male-dominated modern christian bubble we grew up in and pursued what she wanted. I feel in some ways her break through pulled me with her and for that I will always be grateful.

I don't believe in anyway that her getting married changes anything about her as a person. She's still going to be her stubborn, adventurous, sarcastic, independent, fashion diva, tell-me-that-she's-engaged-on-gchat, globally minded self. I just hope she knows that I want to be involved in her life, wherever that may take her.

here's her ring (you know the kind only a doctor can afford?):


CONGRATULATIONS KRISTEN & HSIONG!

p.s. Kristen, I know you don't want to do the whole big wedding thing, but can you at least pick me out a cute dress to wear?

2 comments:

vmchechile said...

One more question of the oddness here...why isn't the ring on her FINGER????

cg said...

I think she just took it off to take a picture of it.