2.20.2010

mr.president.

On Thursday I got to check off number 2,487 on my list of things I want to accomplish in life. I checked off seeing a current U.S. president speak live. And, to make it even better, that president was Barack Obama! Couldn't get much better than that. Seriously, have you ever listened to this man speak? I had the great privilege of hearing him in San Francisco during his presidential campaign, and of course the many speeches I've heard him give on t.v., but each time his pose, his eloquence, and his passion blow me away. Yes, Clinton had a knack for speaking as well, but Obama, how can I put this, well, he's mastered the art.

I'm sure all you out there are wondering how I managed such to snag such an opportunity. Well, perhaps not, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

It was a Michael Bennet fundraiser. Who's Michael Bennet? He's one of the Colorado State Senator's appointed by the governor after Ken Salazar (who was the elected senator) was appointed Secretary of the Interior. In his year in office, Bennet has proved himself as a change maker, pulling strong for healthcare reform and alternative energy. Since the election is this November, campaign season has arrived once again. He's not up for re-election, but he's seeking election. Micah and I went to hear him speak at a small forum one Saturday a few months ago. And what I gathered from that and hearing him on Thursday, Bennet seems to be energetic about eliciting change (not some unruly concept, but real, tangible, see-it-through-your-own-eyes change). He's not a politician by career, just in the last year did he really become one. Before that he was the Denver mayor's chief of staff and then superintendent of Denver Public Schools. One might say he isn't the most well-spoken of politicians; but he's clear and concise even if he speaks no magical language.
The energy in the room was pretty magnificent. There was a ready flow of "amens" and shouts of approval. I know I was excited.
During campaigns, I often get discouraged with the amount of cruel banter that goes back and forth as each candidate attempts to prove themselves to the American public. During speeches, it is the good that is presented, not the bad or even the average. And during the excitement of a crowd, it is easy to feel as though I'm participating, as though I'm a "good" citizen that cares about the future of my country. In real life, I often play less than an active role; letting other people take the lead or show their concern.

As I stood in the auditorium on Thursday, I felt hopeful. I felt hopeful that there are politicians that care. I felt hopeful that there are citizens that are participants of democracy. And, I felt hopeful that I might even be one of them.

Mr. President, I know you're not perfect. I know you can't reverse the course of the last eight years. But, I also know that you're trying. I know that you've made progress, even if it's not what I had expected. I challenge you to continue working, continue listening, continue reveling with the complexities of life.
Oh, and thanks for coming to Denver on Thursday. I know you were busy, meeting with the Dalai Lama in all, but I for one enjoyed hearing you speak!

No comments: