1.27.2011

Shrimp tacos with red cabbage-cilantro slaw.

Since the beginning of January, I've turned into a budget monster. I've been menu planning and sale searching and coupon clipping, and so far, it's been working. But, I'm not into that "I'm going to buy 50 cans of beans when they go on sale and eat that until I run out." I need flavor and I need variety. So, I've also been trying really hard to stock up on some things, but also buy a lot of fresh produce that can be versatile for different meals. I've also wasted a ton of time researched new recipes on my new favorite: foodgawker.com. It's great because I can use it to search by a particular item (for example: red cabbage), and it brings up all the recipes that use that.

For this week I found a recipe that used half a head of red cabbage, but I needed another recipe for the other half. (I found out later that my local grocery store sells cabbage in halves, but that's neither here nor there.) So, I went perusing for a red cabbage recipe. And, I found this, Vegan Veggie Tacos with Red Cabbage-Cilantro Slaw. But, I knew that I had frozen shrimp to use, so I decided to just use the slaw part.

Enter Shrimp Tacos with Red Cabbage-Cilantro Slaw.

P1050845

And, it was tasty!

For the shrimp, I heated up some oil in a pan, then added 2 cloves of minced garlic and about 6 slices (chopped up) of jarred jalapeno. I also seasoned with some cumin and chili powder. Then, I tossed in the shrimp.

The slaw was really easy too. I followed the recipe for the most part, except that I added a little more jalapeno juice for some extra heat and I omitted the onion (simply because we didn't have any).

Assembly was real quick. Three shrimp per taco, a sprinkling of cheese, and a heaping portion of slaw. SO good!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Those look delicious!!

cg said...

They were delicious! :)