1.02.2011

rewind: a look at 2010.


As expected, here's a look back at this past year. It was a year of learning. A year of challenging my perspectives and expanding my knowledge. It was a year that brought me that much closer to pursuing my masters degree. But, more than that it has been a year of letting go of the past and the future in an attempt (many times unsuccessful) to embrace the present.

January brought into my life a special little kitten. Nora is still as energetic as when we first adopted her. She's just as curious, and just as expressive. She makes coming home to an empty house when Micah's still at work worth it. And, she helps me procrastinate when I don't feel like reading or writing papers. She's 11 pounds of cuteness (except when she's scratching the furniture, she's not cute then).

In February I said good-bye to a woman I wish I had gotten to know more. She held an important role as wife, sister, mother, and grandmother, and was much loved by many. Micah's grandmother is well missed.

Nine months after my wedding, my sister got married in March. It was a beautiful celebration that reflected their personalities and their love for one another.

Arizona had me all riled up in April over their attempt to implement SB 1070, a law that would have effectively legalized racial profiling. My blood boils when individuals assume no responsibility for the current status of our immigration system and propose ridiculous measures that would do nothing to repair the damage.

Much of May was a blur due to school demanding all my time. But, the end of May brought the end of my fourth quarter.

June was a month of traveling. Not only did I get to go back to my favorite city on the planet, I celebrated my one-year anniversary and got to see my cousin get married in Minneapolis. I visited my parents in Alabama, while spending time with my dad on his 3rd round of chemo. And, I went to Chicago, admired the architecture and visited my sister and brother-in-law.

July was the continuation of wedding season. I went to one nearby in CO and one in Seattle. Oh, and I LOVED Seattle. Yes, I understand that I went in the summer and the weather is not always as beautiful. But, it was so lively and fun, a perfect mix of bustling city surrounded by outdoorsy beauty.

I tried to revel in the remainder of my last days of my "schools-out-for-the-summer" summer in August. I enjoyed spending time with Micah's parents and his sister. I tried making the most of free time to experiment with sewing and cooking and making things homemade. Yet, by the end of it, I was more than ready to turn in my stay-at-home wife hat for grad student hat again.

September brought a new quarter of classes, new books and notebooks, new pens and new highlighters. I love the newness factor, probably more than the classes themselves. I also began my internship and a slow and steady journey to understanding the complexities of counseling and advocating for people. And, my dad turned 60 and we had a party. It was a surprise and well worth the traveling, planning, and lying to make it such.

By mid-October it finally started to feel like fall. Leaves fell and all things pumpkin clouded my head. I went to my first iron cinema (like a book group that cooks together, but with movies instead). It was amazing and we made enough food to feed double the 5 people that were there.

I began to feel a little more comfortable at my internship in November. I felt as though I was finding some sort of rhythm, even though I still have much to learn. I started my own caseload and it felt good to be "back in action."

I turned 27 in December; I'm at the end of what I consider my mid-twenties, which makes me feel old. I openly embraced my holiday break. I celebrated Christmas 3 times. Unlike last year, I stayed up late enough to usher in the new year (maybe I'm not too old yet).

No comments: