3.25.2010

Washington D.C., Part 2.

Day 3:
Thanks to my friend Emily, who told me about Bike and Roll (a bike tour company in DC), Day 3 was filled with seeing many of the monuments along the National Mall. And, let me just say, biking was the way to do it. The tour was three hours and it really wasn't strenuous at all since there are tons of breaks for picture taking. The guides were knowledgeable and outgoing. I highly recommend them. Also, I found a $5 coupon for them on yelp, which made it even better! In case you don't want to spend the money or in case you'll not be traveling to DC anytime soon, I'll give you the play by play.

We started out at the first Smithsonian building, The Castle.

It took some time getting used to the bike I rode. It was more reactionary than mine, but we soon became fast friends.

We rode along to the Natural History Museum.
Micah has this look of shock, I'm not sure if it's because he was finally coming to grasp that we were really in DC or if he was just excited about natural history.

Here's the group in front the Smithsonian Modern Art Building.

The World War II Japanese Memorial.

The back of the Capital.

The front of the Capital.

The Korean War Memorial.
I wish we had gotten the chance to go back here and see it close up, because it looked really interesting. Because of space limitations, the designer built a wall to reflect images of the soldiers to make it seem as though there are more of them.

The Washington Monument.
(It's so impressive when you're standing right underneath it.)

The Reflecting Pool.

The Lincoln Memorial.

The White House.
(The fountain is green because it was St. Patrick's Day.)

The End. (I guess Micah's waving goodbye?)

After the bike tour, food was once again on our mind and upon yet another recommendation (this time from Melissa), we went to Kramerbooks and Afterwords. It's located off of Dupont Circle, which is definitely an area I would like to spend more time exploring. Although the escalators coming up from the metro were intimidating (by which I mean terrifying). Here's the view.

For lunch (not that you really care), I got this crabcake pasta dish, which was awesome. I pretty much ate as much crab as humanly possible in a 7 day time period. It was grand. And, to finish off, we got the Goober Pie (which Melissa said was a must).

Hmm, hmm, goober pie!

2 comments:

vmchechile said...

OOOHHH! You're making me want to go back there more and more!!

cg said...

It was so much fun. Maybe if we end up moving there, you guys can come visit!!??!