1.24.2010

did i mention school started again?

Probably not, given that I haven't posted in f.o.r.e.v.e.r!

So, since I don't have tons of time on my hands, I've decided to do a series (completely, and utterly unconnected) of small posts.

First on the list is pizza.

I love pizza, most all kinds of pizza. But, my favorite has to be Potato, Garlic, and Pesto Pizza. Haven't heard of it? Well, I hadn't either, that is until I had moved to San Francisco and visited the incredible Escape from New York Pizza. It's one of their specialities.

Since, I now find myself not located anywhere near where I could buy this gem for less that $3.50 a slice, I've experimented with how to make it at home.

Ingredients:
--Roughly 5, small red potatoes-thinly sliced
--Mozzarella cheese (you'll have to guess here, just use enough to cover a pizza)
--Crust (I've gotten accustomed to using the pillsbury roll out crust, not the best, but it works)
--Pesto sauce
--Garlic (a whole elephant garlic head)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Cut off the top of the garlic head and sprinkle with olive oil, wrap it in foil, and toss it in the oven. Roast for at least 45 minutes, or until the cloves are soft when poked with a fork.
3) While the garlic's roasting, heat up a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet and toss in the thinly sliced potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and maybe some italian seasoning. I usually cover them while they cook (about 15-20 minutes) and let them brown.
4) Roll out your dough and spread on the pesto sauce (don't be shy with it).
5) When the potatoes are done, lay them out in rows covering as much of the dough.
6) Layer with some mozzarella and throw on remaining potato slices (if there are any remaining).
7) When the garlic is soft, pull it out clove by clove with a fork or knife (try to keep it in clove form if possible). Evenly distribute them on the pizza. (It may sound like a lot of garlic, but roasting garlic takes out quite a bit of its bite).
8) Throw on some more cheese and bake in the oven as per the dough directions (I think pillsbury is about 13 minutes).

When it's all done, hopefully the pizza will look like this:
Well, this post was a little longer than expected, but I hope you will try this recipe (especially those that love garlic)...it really is fantastic!
Enjoy eating all that starchy goodness!

1 comment:

lauren said...

this looks delicious! i'm definitely going to have to try it