11.07.2008

frustration

I know when clients call and leave me a message they want to hear back from me (usually as soon as possible). So that's what I try to do. In fact, I'm much better at calling people back, then let's say my co-workers. I tally that as a plus.

Ok, so this is going to sound mean, but I really don't think that some of my clients understand that they aren't my only client. For example, yesterday I was in the office, just in the morning. I came in specifically to meet with two different clients. I probably should have checked my voicemail, but I didn't.

I came in the office this morning. I checked my voicemail. I had 4 messages. First message was from yesterday. It was from client X. X told me that she needed to talk to me asap and to call her back as soon as I listened to her message. The second message is from X's number. She did not leave a message, but her number came up in the Caller ID. Third message. Guess who it's from? It's from X! She tells me in an exasperated voice that she's been calling and she reminds me I have yet to call her back. Really? Then there's the fourth message. It's from this morning. It's X again. She tells me, "I haven't heard back from you, so I went ahead and did this (that "this" is something I asked her 3 days before NOT to do).

So, after listening to my messages, I'm a bit peeved. I don't really feel like calling X back. But right then my 10 o'clock client shows up. Saved. I'm meeting with her and guess who decides to drop in. It's X, ladies and gentlemen! OMG!

I politely step outside my office and tell X that I do not have time to speak with her right then because I'm with another client. So of course, she then launches into her big speech that I have failed to call her back and she's been worried. (Inside cg's mind: You called me yesterday and today 4 times, I don't think less than 24 hours constitutes failure to return a call.) I interrupt X and tell her that I unfortunately CANNOT talk, so I'll call her later. She leaves. I take 3 deep breathes, because I'm frustrated, and I return to my office.

No comments: