10.18.2011

Shely's visit.

Last week went fast and before I knew it, it was over. But, before I launch into posts about my new job and the new life that comes with it, I want to write about my weekend with Shely.

Shely and I went to grad school together and we interned at the same place our second year. She is a fabulous human being! We're both introverts, but when we're together I feel like there are endless things to talk about. Having her here for the weekend was so good for my soul, almost like a calm before the storm (as I started work the day after she left). Unfortunately, Micah didn't feel well all weekend, but it did give Shely and I a chance to have lots of friend time.

This was Shely's first trip to San Francisco, or to California even, so I wanted to make sure we hit all the famous spots. The weekend she was here was Fleet Week, so there were lots of military personnel around the city and loud air shows. The first day she got in we went down to Fisherman's Wharf, a haven for all tourist. The place is filled to the brim with tacky trinket stores, but even that can't take away from the amazing views down by the bay.

photo.JPG

One of the ships at Fisherman's Wharf

35291b521c1449c6906bfbed6c19a7e5_7

We visited the sea lions at Pier 39, one of my favorite things to do at the Wharf. Sea lions are so lazy! The one in the picture below looks like he did a belly flop on the wooden deck/pier.

958f697656734defb9c23d1360adb753_7

057ab5cdd62e47ed8d44d2ab90f95b55_7

And we couldn't pass up The Buena Vista's amazingly wonderful Irish Coffee.

6bfc35ade07c443b9432c181570e2ce6_7

Later, we went out for sushi, a lighter meal given that we had eaten clam chowder late in the afternoon. Then, we just came home and crashed. Shely had gotten up at 3am Denver time to catch her flight, so I know she was exhausted.

Saturday, we headed off to the Marina. We went to La Boulange for some good french breakfast. Then, being the great host that I am, I ditched Shely for my hair appointment, while she wandered around in some of Union Street's shops. We met back up after I was done and walked down to the Bay.

P1060482

Where the height of Fleet Week was happening.

P1060483

Unfortunately, it was super foggy, so much so that you couldn't even see the Golden Gate Bridge.

P1060488

Someone kindly offered to take our picture.

P1060493

After a quick glance at the water, we caught a bus up to Haight, where we met up with another friend who went to school with us, Caitlin, for lunch at Kan Zaman. Such a great idea on Caitlin's part, as we got all the food pictured below for $20! Which was more than enough for the three of us.

P1060497

We also got ice cream and Caitlin and I convinced Shely to get a green polka dot dress that looks so cute on her.

P1060499

Shely and I then headed back to my apartment to devise a plan for dinner and to check in on Micah.

I love the view from my apartment!

P1060508

We decided to go out to Mandalay for Burmese food. I didn't get a picture of everything we ordered. But this is the Tea Leaf Salad, which was phenomenal.

P1060517

Sunday was my last chance to show Shely some sights, so Micah and I reserved a car for a few hours to drive around the city. I wanted her to see the Golden Gate Bridge, so we went there first, but drove through a couple neighborhoods of really nice houses to get there.

P1060519

P1060525

Oh, Beautiful Bridge!

P1060532

Best photo of the trip.

P1060541

Then we drove past the Palace of the Legion of Honor and headed down to the pacific ocean, so Shely could see it for the first time.

P1060565

Of course that meant that we had to run out to the water, so she could stick her toes in!

P1060559

Sadly, then it was time to take her to the airport, but my fingers are crossed that she'll come back! :)

1 comment:

Fallen said...

Oh my gosh, I just saw this! This is too wonderful...makes me so happy. Miss you loads! I want to try to find a way to see you sometime this year even if for a day :).