8.04.2011

Strawberry and Blackberry Tart

I have been on a baking/blogging frenzy (I think you can call it that, when an absent blogger posts 4 days in a row). I think unemployment is getting to me, because I've been baking/cooking to take my mind off of it. Not really sure if that is working in my favor, given that time spent on making food and looking at food blogs would probably be better spent looking for a job. But, you gotta give yourself some outlet, right? At least that's my reasoning.

Anyway, onward to the tart. Recipe and inspiration came from here.

First off, buy yourself the following ingredients:
1. Frozen Puff Pastry, 1 sheet, de-thawed
2. Egg, 1
3. Sugar, just enough for sprinkling outer rim
4. Cream Cheese, 4 oz
5. Heavy Cream, 1/4 cup
6. Lemon zest, 1/2 tsp
7. Powdered Sugar, 3 tbsp
8. Berries, whatever combination you want: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, enough to cover your tart. I used about 1/2 small package of blackberries and about 7 strawberries, sliced.

First thing you want to do is de-thaw your puff pastry, this takes about 40 minutes, according to the directions on the packaging I bought. Once thawed, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Carefully roll out your puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface, then transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.

Score the pastry with a knife at about a 1 in thickness, careful not to cut all the way through. Prick the middle section with a fork.

P1060363

Brush outer edge with beaten egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar.

P1060364

Bake until puffy and golden brown. The recipe said for 18-22 minutes, but mine only took about 15

P1060367

While the pastry crust cools, mix up the cream cheese filling.

First, beat the cream cheese (which should be slightly softened) until smooth. Then add 1/4 cream, 2 tbsp powdered sugar, and 1/2 tsp lemon zest. I also added a touch of vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, and fully combined.

P1060368

When the crust is fully cooled, scoop the cream cheese filling onto the middle.

P1060372

and evenly spread it out.

P1060374

Then top with your berries, in any design that you'd like.

P1060375

Here's a close up.

P1060376

And finally, use that last tbsp of powdered sugar to sprinkle over your tart. This step would look prettier if I had a sifter, but fingers or a spoon will do. Serve at room temperature, and refrigerate leftovers.

P1060378


Update on Farm Fresh: I used up those turnips I picked! I was a little worried that I wouldn't, because turnips don't really sound all the appetizing. But, I found a recipe for Turnip and Potato Fritters that I thought looked pretty good. I wasn't quite sure what to serve them with, so I just made scrambled eggs for a breakfast for dinner type meal. As you can see from the picture, I had a glass of wine to go with it. Wine goes with breakfast, right?

P1060380

No comments: