8.04.2010

homemade vanilla extract.

I've been on a making-things-from-scratch kick lately. First, it was vanilla extract, then fruit roll-ups (that was a disaster), and pickles, and soon I'm actually going to try my hand at canning. Oh, and I've also been sewing! I'm not sure what about homemade it is that I love, but I do like knowing exactly what goes into what I'm eating or a fuller appreciation of the time spent on what I'm wearing. Maybe it's just reassuring. Then again, maybe I just like the feeling of accomplishment that comes with making something yourself.

Anyway, up first is vanilla extract.

I can't actually testify to whether this stuff is any good or whether it works in baking yet, but it's really easy. Not much to it at all. Just vodka


and vanilla beans.


Ingredients:
1 Liter Vodka
10 Vanilla Beans (which are expensive, so shop around until you find a good price)

Directions:
-Take a shot of vodka (it will taste like rubbing alcohol), to give a little extra room in the bottle.
-Slice open the beans and slide them into the vodka.
-Shake it up and put it in a dark, dry place.


-Every week (for at least 1-2 months), shake it again and put it back.
-When the vodka no longer smells like vodka and smells like vanilla instead, it should be done. (Again, I haven't gotten to this point yet.)
-When it's done, you can strain it through a coffee filter to catch all the little vanilla seeds.

And, voila! Vanilla extract that didn't cost $8 per teeny, tiny little bottle.

2 comments:

lauren said...

this is really awesome!

i hope it turns out!

Unknown said...

good to know that you should take a shot of vodka first. i'd hate to accidentally skip that step. :)