9.03.2010

blueberry muffins.

Tuesday I had the hankering for blueberry muffins.


And not just any blueberry muffins, but the perfect blueberry muffins. I got the recipe from here, and it didn't let me down. The only thing I changed is that I did not use lemon zest (only because I didn't have a lemon on hand). I'm sure they're great with the lemon addition as well. I also put too much butter in and then tried to compensate by adding a little bit more of some of the other ingredients. It didn't have any drastically negative affects.

Ingredients:
-5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened (yah, so, I used a whole stick {8 tbsp}...oops)
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 egg
-3/4 cup sour cream or yogurt (I used greek style yogurt, because it's yummy and that's what I had)
-1/2 tsp lemon zest (again, they were great without it)
-1 & 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-3/4 cup blueberries (I used frozen & they worked great...but, I did not defrost them before adding them to the batter)


Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees & grease muffin tin.
-Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg & beat; then the yogurt (& zest, if you're using it).
-Mix together the dry ingredients & sift into the wet ingredients little by little. {note: the end result will be VERY thick, thick & sticky. I was worried that I had really screwed up, but they turned out great.}
-Fill muffin cups to about 3/4 full. My batter made 12, but I also tweaked some of the ingredient amounts. The recipe is supposed to make 9-10.
-Bake for 20-25 minutes. Mine were done at 20, but I still haven't figured out how altitude affects baking.
-Let cool on a rack for a few minutes and then eat them for dinner. At least, that's what we did Tuesday night. Nutritious, right?

No comments: