12.30.2010

3 Christmases: Part 3, Denver.

The third and final Christmas was in Denver on Christmas day. It definitely wasn't what I wanted in that we weren't around my family. But, due to changing circumstances and ticket prices that were beyond what we could pay, it still turned out great. It was a low key holiday. Low key did not come without a lot of work...
We worked a lot in the kitchen. A Lot! We started Christmas eve eve with a brine and butter toffee.
I decided to try brining a turkey, pioneer woman style. I must admit that it did not turn out that great. It was dry. Probably had more to do with our lack of cooking skills and therefore over cooking it than the brine itself, but who knows. It was my first time cooking a turkey.


The little Christmas tree that could survive the wrath of our cat Nora.


After almost a full day of prepping, we started Christmas off the right way, with homemade sticky buns. I would eat these every morning if I could afford the time to make them and the time to work them off.


Nora was quite excited about presents. She got kittens of boxville postcards and cat treats!


I got an anthropologie sweater from my sister and brother-in-law.


Micah got a burr grinder from them.


I found this little gal stuffed in my stocking. She's this year's new ornament.


Since we weren't going to be around family, we invited some friends over for dinner. It was nice to have people to spend part of the day with.

I wanted to spruce the dinner up a bit, so we got some white spider mums and I printed out a menu of all the food we were having. Here's the table setting, complete with the Christmas menu,


and salt and pepper shakers (Christmas present from my parents).


I think the simplistic decor looked nice.


Overall, we had good food,


and GREAT company.


And that concludes the 3 Christmases of 2010.

No comments: